An overcast and cool day saw 11 members and guests complete the Missed Building Walk covering some of the buildings that have been overlooked in recent months.   walk that was started last month. The distance was a bit over 4 kilometres. Rain was forecast but fortunately never eventuated
Our first stop was at Russell's Old Corner Shop, which stands on the corner of King and Latrobe Streets and is widely regarded as Melbourne's oldest residence. Because it is undergoing renovation it was covered in scaffolding and hoardings but luckily the builder was on site and so explained the history and the restoration plans.
On to the Royal Mint, which was first opened in 1872 to manufacture gold coins and operated as a key institution in the development of Melbourne as a city. Members were impressed by the plaques decorating the walls.
Next was a stroll down Guildford Lane, looking at all the wonderful red brick, cobblestoned overflowing window sill gardens of the historic Dutch-style buildings, housing architects, design-firms and active artist studios alongside the ubiquitous eateries and coffee houses that are so prevalent in our town.
Finally, we went to the Queen Victoria Women's Centre,  all that is left of the hospital that closed in 1987 and then walked all the way to the bottom of Bourke St to the former police station that is now a hotel to look at the bluestone cells and have much deserved coffee and cake.